here is a very very old meme answer for c which i never published
- characters being unreasonably nice to each other. most of the works i read are about characters who canonically are huge douchebags. good people but act like literal dickpunches.
- not using warnings which is thankfully getting better with ao3. if you don’t use all applicable tags now you’re just being an asshole.
- unhappy endings when the rest of the fic isn’t extensively bleak. unhappy endings in general. even with warnings. i don’t care, stop. just don’t. i’m a marshmellow whatever.
- not enough conflict - re: asshole characters, things should be hard for them. being that they are assholes, they should inherently get in their own way in achieving whatever their end goal here is.
- too much conflict - everything happens so much
- trending phrases - they are always awful individually but then they KEEP HAPPENING IN EVERYTHING also 90% of the time they’re about boning like god sex in fanfic is usually awful enough to begin with please stop talking about mouths like sin or whatever weird pseudo siken phrase you’re all going for
- oh yeah - richard siken. god just stop it’s just weird and creepy? no. you don’t NEED to put quotes around everything. on that note, songfic, any karaoke scene where an entire verse or more is written in and characters singing is described or no anything god it’s just bad. it’s like quidditch in harry potter (people who liked reading quidditch chapters in harry potter - WHY?????) except much much worse.